Cream of porcini soup with smoked bacon
- 1.5 l chicken stock
- 250 ml whipping cream
- 50 g butter
- 50 g flour, sifted
- 50 g onions, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
- 300 g porcini mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 100 g smoked bacon, finely diced
- 30 g parsley, finely chopped
- 20 g chervil sprigs
- White truffle oil, to flavour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a saucepan with the onion and garlic.
Add the flour and stir using a whisk without allowing the mixture to brown.
Pour in the cold cream, stirring constantly.
Pour in the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
Simmer, partially covered, for 12 minutes.
Blend in a food processor.
Pour into a saucepan.
Add the porcini mushrooms and bacon.
Boil for 4 minutes.
Add Tabasco, pepper, salt and truffle oil to taste.
Serve in warm bowls, sprinkled with parsley and chervil.
Try replacing the porcini mushrooms with girolles or eld mushrooms. I made this wonderful porcini soup for years at the Hotel Zur Post in Saint-Vith, Belgium. I would like to dedicate this recipe to my friend Dirk who sadly left us too soon, and who taught me all the places where mushrooms can be found in our forests. A beautiful memory... Thank you, Dirk!